The Benefits of Fasting—For the Body and the Soul
Fasting has been around since the age of our forefathers in one form on the other. Even today, a large majority of people undertake fasting because they have a hunger for God, desiring God through fasting and prayer. Then there are so many others who indulge in fasting for health reasons. Whatever the reasons that people choose for fasting, they are rewarded by multiple benefits as a result of fasting. Some of the main benefits of fasting for both health and spiritual reasons are listed below:
Spiritual Benefits of Fasting
- Fasting strengthens and purifies the spirit. When we cease to cater to the demands of the flesh, then we can listen to the soul and the spirit.
Religious Fasting brings us closer to God. To purify our spirit and to get used to the rigors of fasting, we turn we God, Thus we get closer to God when we fast.
- Fasting gives strength to our prayers. It has been mentioned in the Bible that most of our prophets fasted before or during times of adversity or when they wanted to ask something from God. Even today, holy men advise that you fast in order to give power and purity to your prayers.
- Spiritual Fasting increases will power. It is extremely tough to deny the flesh, especially in a world where we are used to pampering its every whim and fancy. Controlling and curbing our natural desires gives a strength to our will that comes into play throughout different situations in life.
Physical Benefits of Fasting
- Fasting is the best method of detoxification. It cleanses the body of toxins and impurities while healing the body from within.
Fasting facilitates rapid and safe weight loss. Different types of fasts like the juice fast or water fast are extremely effective for weight loss.
- Fasting gives a break to the digestive system, which is one of the most hard working parts of our body. This in turn revitalizes and rejuvenates the digestive system.
- Fasting revitalizes the cells and heals the body. Energy that is generally taken up by the process of digestion on normal days is concentrated towards healing other parts of the body during fasting. It is a great method of healing and repairing different body parts that are otherwise ignored in order to carry out basic bodily functions like eating and digestion etc.
- Fasting puts a glow on the skin. Due to detoxification and rejuvenation of the body and its cells, a person’s skin starts looking healthier and better after a fast, especially if he has been on juice fasting, liquid fasting or on a detox fast.